Nutrition & Menus
Shannon ChildCare has a 5 Star Hygiene rating from the Environmental Health. We understand the importance of providing healthy, well-balanced and interesting meals for our children. Ensuring a variety of different and delicious foods means that children really enjoy and look forward to mealtimes. A person with nutritional knowledge has specially created our pescatarian plus vegetarian menus and our on-site chef prepares each meal daily using fresh vegetables and fruit. Our lunch and teatime meals are always freshly cooked. Parents are emailed our weekly menus and we are constantly trying different dishes. Additionally we provide snacks in the morning and afternoon; all of which are healthy. The children enjoy our food so much they usually have seconds and many parents ask us for our recipes!
We pride ourselves on creating tasty interesting menus, below are a few of the ingredients we use within our meal plans:
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, blueberries, mixed-berries, satsumas, watermelon, variety of melons, mangos, pears, peaches, rhubarb, lemons, lime, dates, sorbets.
- Vegetables: Leafy greens, green beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, carrots, leeks, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, onions; red & white, parsnips, butternut squash, courgettes, mushrooms, aubergines, cucumbers, sweet corn, sweet peppers, kale, spinach, gem lettuces & avocados.
- Grains: Quinoa, barley, buckwheat, rice, corn, oats, granola.
- Pasta: Wheat including various groups: Spaghetti, bow shape, fettuccine, fusilli, lasagne, tagliatelle, macaroni, vermicelli, couscous, egg noodles.
- Legumes: Lentils, all bean groups, soy beans, green peas, chickpeas.
- Healthy fats: Coconut oil, olive oil, vegetable oils, avocados.
- Proteins: A variety of fish, Tofu, Quorn, eggs, dairy products; various cheese, yoghurts.
- Diary: Full fat milk, cheddar, mozzarella, feta, mozzarella, cottage cheese, single cream, yogurt, ice cream.
We do not use sugar or salt within our dishes; any stock added is with reduced salt. We use margarine rather than butter, this aides any lactose intolerances. Please note no nut products are allowed at our nurseries.
Shannon ChildCare adhere to our parents requests and find alternatives for food allergies, intolerances or religious requirements. Please note we require a Doctor’s or Dietician’s letter to confirm any special dietary conditions.
Mealtimes are a social occasion whereby all our children sit together. Whatever stage they are at, from weaning to eating full meals, we see nursery mealtimes as a pleasurable and fun time of day and so do our children. We feel that learning how to eat should be fun, and we actively encourage our children to explore food, texture and taste whilst developing the ability to use cutlery. We promote good table manners and independence, teaching our children ‘Life Skills’; washing hands, setting the table, serving themselves and learning how to pour liquids into their cups.
At Shannon ChildCare we have a special Food Theme. During this week we talk about healthy eating; the Eatwell Plate. Teaching our children (toddlers included) in preparing their meals. All our children relish in cooking and we encourage their knowledge and understanding of different food sources and cultures.
We encourage our children to drink water throughout the day, by making their drinking cups accessible and re-filling them with fresh water. Keeping our children well hydrated is a priority.
We are proud to be part of the Healthy Early Years London (HEYL) First Steps and have achieved a Bronze Award from the Mayor of London
Example of Menus
"Staff hold detailed discussions with children that enrich their awareness of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle"